Upcoming
Feast Mass #14 will be on May 6, 2017 @ 6:00pm.

Design Studio for Social Intervention (DS4SI)
1946 Washington Street, 2nd floor
Roxbury, MA 02118

Enter through the Side Door on Thorndike St.


Proposal: Loose

Monday, July 30, 2012 | Posted by Alex
D’hana Perry

Describe your idea.
This project is an autobiographical exploration of queer identity construction and self-expression, blending two distinct forms that contribute the strengths of documentary production and live digital remixing techniques native to club culture. This performed documentary uses recorded music, audio interview clips and video mixed into a DJ/VJ styled performance.

By using non-linear documentary production to explore issues of gender identity, sexuality and race, I utilize the remix form to create a vibrant, immersive space in a outdoor, club, or gallery setting that further enhances the performance and installation aspect of this piece. This documentary is designed to be improvisational. No two performances are the same.

LOOSE is a live documentary audio/visual performance, and an examination of how the intersections of gender, queer and racial performativity affect the power dynamics of navigating public space.

How will you use your grant?
This project started as my thesis project and I want to continue doing these performances, to facilitate building my career in the arts.

So far I’ve funded this entire project out of pocket and via student loans, but technology is very expensive! Now that I no longer have access to equipment from school, it’s going to be difficult to continue doing these performances.

If I get the grant, I would buy 2 projectors. This purchase would nearly complete the list of things I need purchase to make this project grow.

Why and to whom is your project important?
My project is autobiographical, but my experiences are rooted in years of community building. My work will have a direct impact on anyone in the queer and transgender community, people of color, academics, and lovers of club music, performance, documentaries and new media.

Within this exploration of identity, I am working with a concept of remixing as: 1) a process of mental and physical image appropriation and 2) a mode of existence and survival, which turn everyday interactions into a creative act. I am especially interested in the challenge of translating to the audience, the physical experience of gender, sexual and racial fluidity.

What is the expected status of your project by the time of the next Feast?
I’ve performed LOOSE in several venues and I have plans to do more. If I get this grant to buy the projectors, I will have a fully functioning audio/visual documentary performance project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment